What is involved in Cloud Migration
Find out what the related areas are that Cloud Migration connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Cloud Migration thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Cloud Migration journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Cloud Migration leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Cloud Migration related domains to cover and 104 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Cloud Migration, HP CloudSystem, HP 3PAR, HP Cloud Service Automation Software, HP Converged Systems, HP Helion, HP ProLiant, HP StorageWorks, HP Systems Insight Manager, Hewlett-Packard, Hypervisor, Infrastructure as a service, Multitenancy, Opsware, Platform as a service, Private cloud, Public cloud, Service-level agreement, Software-as-a-service, Virtualization:
Cloud Migration Critical Criteria:
Discourse Cloud Migration results and explain and analyze the challenges of Cloud Migration.
– Can your application be packaged into a virtual machine (VM) instance and run on cloud infrastructure or does it need specialized hardware and/or special access to hardware that the AWS cloud cannot provide?
– Business Considerations. Business considerations include the overall organizational readiness for using cloud computing. Is the application owner willing and comfortable with a cloud platform?
– Other technical choices depend on the security measures applied by the cloud provider to the cloud service. Does the provider implement strong user authentication techniques for the service?
– Performance Standard: What should be the standards for completeness, reliability, accuracy, timeliness, customer satisfaction, quality and/or cost?
– Is the organization subject to any law or legal restriction on the physical location of its data and/or applications?
– Among the Cloud Migration product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– If youre migrating applications to the cloud, do you know what your bandwidth requirements will be?
– Are you able to map the current architecture of the candidate application to cloud architecture?
– What are my regulatory or contractual obligations to store data in specific jurisdictions?
– What is the cost required to operate and maintain the application by the organization?
– Is the programming language compatible with the language for the source application?
– Application Lifecycle Considerations. Is the application still being defined?
– Monitoring Method: How will we determine that success has been achieved?
– What sorts of activities must be performed to accomplish the migration?
– Are the results clearly validated in a non-trivial evaluation context?
– Can we reuse our existing resource management and configuration tools?
– What new IT skills should be considered for a company moving to IaaS?
– What does the SLA promise you in terms of security measures?
– Are Hybrid Clouds in our Future?
HP CloudSystem Critical Criteria:
Confer over HP CloudSystem projects and sort HP CloudSystem activities.
– Does Cloud Migration create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Have you identified your Cloud Migration key performance indicators?
– How would one define Cloud Migration leadership?
HP 3PAR Critical Criteria:
Learn from HP 3PAR projects and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Think of your Cloud Migration project. what are the main functions?
– What is the purpose of Cloud Migration in relation to the mission?
– What are all of our Cloud Migration domains and what do they do?
HP Cloud Service Automation Software Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to HP Cloud Service Automation Software tasks and remodel and develop an effective HP Cloud Service Automation Software strategy.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Cloud Migration does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Does Cloud Migration analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Cloud Migration?
HP Converged Systems Critical Criteria:
Check HP Converged Systems visions and report on setting up HP Converged Systems without losing ground.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Cloud Migration study?
– Does Cloud Migration appropriately measure and monitor risk?
HP Helion Critical Criteria:
Add value to HP Helion adoptions and report on developing an effective HP Helion strategy.
– In what ways are Cloud Migration vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Do Cloud Migration rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How do we go about Comparing Cloud Migration approaches/solutions?
HP ProLiant Critical Criteria:
Differentiate HP ProLiant results and find the essential reading for HP ProLiant researchers.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Cloud Migration product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Can we add value to the current Cloud Migration decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Are there recognized Cloud Migration problems?
HP StorageWorks Critical Criteria:
Look at HP StorageWorks issues and customize techniques for implementing HP StorageWorks controls.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Cloud Migration processes of our organization?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Cloud Migration leaders?
– What are current Cloud Migration Paradigms?
HP Systems Insight Manager Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over HP Systems Insight Manager decisions and customize techniques for implementing HP Systems Insight Manager controls.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Cloud Migration strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Do we monitor the Cloud Migration decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Are assumptions made in Cloud Migration stated explicitly?
Hewlett-Packard Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Hewlett-Packard leadership and get going.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Cloud Migration project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Cloud Migration project lifecycle?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Cloud Migration process?
Hypervisor Critical Criteria:
Test Hypervisor quality and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Hypervisor is getting what it needs.
– How can you protect the hypervisor (a key component for cloud infrastructures) which interacts and manages multiple environments in the cloud?
– Which type of attack could enable the installation of a rogue hypervisor and take control of underlying server resources?
– Which hypervisor component is responsible for performing binary translation of instructions that can not be virtualized?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– What enables a virtual machine to be portable across physical machines running the same hypervisor?
– When a Cloud Migration manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Cloud Migration?
– What are the usability implications of Cloud Migration actions?
Infrastructure as a service Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Infrastructure as a service management and slay a dragon.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Cloud Migration is underway?
Multitenancy Critical Criteria:
Nurse Multitenancy visions and report on setting up Multitenancy without losing ground.
– Is there a Cloud Migration Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What are the barriers to increased Cloud Migration production?
– How much does Cloud Migration help?
Opsware Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Opsware governance and get answers.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Cloud Migration process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Cloud Migration process available?
– Do the Cloud Migration decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Platform as a service Critical Criteria:
Discourse Platform as a service goals and remodel and develop an effective Platform as a service strategy.
– Consider your own Cloud Migration project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Will Cloud Migration have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
Private cloud Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Private cloud visions and arbitrate Private cloud techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What is the security gap between private cloud cloud computing versus client server computing architectures?
– How will the switch happen to public cloud when the private cloud infrastructure gets mixed out?
– How likely is the current Cloud Migration plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Cloud Migration requirements in detail?
– When is utility computing preferable to running a private cloud?
– what is the future of private cloud?
– What is private cloud?
Public cloud Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Public cloud tactics and summarize a clear Public cloud focus.
– Does Cloud Migration include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Which applications are best suited for the internal data center, and which ones make sense for the public cloud?
– In the case of public clouds, will the hosting service provider meet their regulatory compliance requirements?
– Do I establish a private (or community) cloud as a staging platform as we learn more about public clouds?
– How do we Identify specific Cloud Migration investment and emerging trends?
– Is the public cloud more secure?
– Is the scope of Cloud Migration defined?
Service-level agreement Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Service-level agreement goals and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Service-level agreement services.
– In terms of service availability, can you get your vendor to sign a service-level agreement?
– Is there any existing Cloud Migration governance structure?
– What are the business goals Cloud Migration is aiming to achieve?
Software-as-a-service Critical Criteria:
Canvass Software-as-a-service tactics and devote time assessing Software-as-a-service and its risk.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Cloud Migration activities?
– Would you consider any non software-as-a-service options?
Virtualization Critical Criteria:
Focus on Virtualization outcomes and customize techniques for implementing Virtualization controls.
– How can you verify that the virtualization platform or cloud management software running on the systems you use, which you did not install and do not control, does not contain malware?
– An organization requires that each user needs to access their own copy of os and applications installed on a centralized location. which virtualization solution will you recommend?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What impact has emerging technology (e.g., cloud computing, virtualization and mobile computing) had on your companys ITRM program over the past 12 months?
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– Change in technology and prices over time: what will billing units be like for the higher-level virtualization clouds?
– Does the provider extend their vulnerability and configuration management process to the virtualization platform?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further and enable saas adoption?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further enable saas adoption?
– Should I proceed with virtualization before consolidation, then consolidation before cloud migration?
– What are next trends to follow in Virtualization and Cloud Migration space?
– Do the providers virtualization appliances inspect all packets?
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
– Does our organization need more Cloud Migration education?
– Which statement is true about user state virtualization?
– Which virtualization solution will you recommend?
– Protect virtualization platforms, such as vmware?
– Which compute virtualization technique was used?
– Will database virtualization take off?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Cloud Migration Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Cloud Migration External links:
Cloud migration between cloud storage providers | Cloudsfer
Cloud Migration and Disaster Recovery
DISA, DOD say cloud migration needs security, …
HP CloudSystem External links:
HP CloudSystem Foundation | HP® Argentina
HP Converged Systems External links:
HP Converged Systems Archives | Rolta AdvizeX
[PDF]HP Converged Systems – Hewlett Packard
iT1 + HP Converged Systems + ‘We Do Men, The Man Spa’
HP Helion External links:
[PDF]HP Guide – HP Helion Ready Program for Solution …
HP Helion Network – Partners | HP® Argentina
[PDF]HP Helion Cloud | IT Case Study | Mendix | HP
HP ProLiant External links:
HP ProLiant Server and BladeSystem Management …
HP Proliant ML150 G6 | eBay
[PDF]HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 Server Maintenance and …
HP StorageWorks External links:
HP StorageWorks Ultrium 6650 and 6250 LTO-6 Tape …
[PDF]HP StorageWorks 60 Modular Smart Array …
[PDF]HP StorageWorks Fabric OS 5.1.x release notes
HP Systems Insight Manager External links:
Why is HP Systems Insight Manager not receiving SNMP …
Why is HP Systems Insight Manager not receiving SNMP …
[PDF]Changing the HP Systems Insight Manager 5.0 …
Hypervisor External links:
ESXi | Bare Metal Hypervisor | VMware
What is hypervisor? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Free vSphere Hypervisor | VMware
Infrastructure as a service External links:
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
What is IaaS? Infrastructure as a Service | Microsoft Azure
What’s New in Azure Infrastructure as a service
Multitenancy External links:
Introduction to Java multitenancy – IBM
Serverless is the new multitenancy | TechCrunch
Multitenancy – Gartner IT Glossary
Opsware External links:
How to uninstall Opsware agent – Quora
Opsware | Article about Opsware by The Free Dictionary
The Opsware Mafia – Forbes
Platform as a service External links:
Fully Managed Big Data Platform as a Service | Cazena
Video Platform as a Service – Ziggeo
Captain Up :: Engagement Platform as a Service
Private cloud External links:
Virtual Network – Virtual Private Cloud | Microsoft Azure
Enterprise & Private Cloud – Disaster Recovery – Backup
Public Cloud Convenience, Private Cloud Control
Public cloud External links:
Public Cloud Convenience, Private Cloud Control
What is public cloud? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Virtualization External links:
Server Virtualization Software | vSphere | VMware